call us915-250-0700

Free Consultations|
No Fees Unless We Win

Can I Recover Compensation for Injuries Caused by a Drunk Driver? 

 Posted on March 23,2023 in Car Accidents


If you have been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses. However, recovering compensation for a drunk driving accident is not always as straightforward as it may seem.

Today, we will discuss the types of damages accident sufferers may be entitled to, factors affecting the amount of compensation, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Texas, and how a lawyer can help you. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, do not hesitate to pick up the phone and call an experienced personal injury attorney for personalized legal assistance.

Types of Damages You May Be Entitled To

Texas law allows car accident victims to pursue financial compensation for damages, or losses, that they suffer because of the accident. Several damages may be relevant in your case, including:

  • Medical expenses – This includes the cost of treatment for your injuries, including hospitalization, surgery, and physical therapy.
  • Lost wages – If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages.
  • Pain and suffering – Many people involved in a car accident suffer from severe physical and emotional pain and suffering due to the accident. You may be surprised to learn that you may be able to be compensated for your pain and suffering.
  • Property damage – This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle or other property damaged in the accident.
  • Punitive damages – In some cases, a judge may award additional compensation through punitive damages for any aggravating factors that may have been at play when the accident occurred. The goal of punitive damages is to punish the at-fault driver and provide the sufferer with more compensation for the accident.

Factors Affecting the Amount of Compensation

The amount of compensation you are entitled to will depend on several factors, including:

  • The severity of your injuries
  • The cost of your medical treatment
  • The extent of your lost wages
  • The impact of the accident on your life
  • The insurance coverage of the intoxicated driver
  • The strength of your legal case

Please remember that in Texas, you must file your personal injury lawsuit within two years of the accident, or you may risk losing the right to seek compensation.

How a Lawyer Can Help You

A personal injury attorney can provide various services if you have been injured in an accident. Here are some ways a personal injury can help you:

  • Evaluate your case – A personal injury attorney can review the details of your case to determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
  • Investigate your case – A personal injury attorney can thoroughly investigate the accident that caused your injuries to gather evidence and build a strong case.
  • Assess your damages – A personal injury attorney can help you assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
  • Negotiate with insurance companies – A personal injury attorney can negotiate with the insurance companies and advocate on your behalf for a settlement that meets your needs.
  • File a lawsuit – If necessary, a personal injury attorney can file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your injuries.
  • Represent you in court – If your case goes to court, your attorney can represent you while ensuring your rights are protected.
  • Provide legal advice – A personal injury attorney can provide legal advice throughout the entire process and answer any questions you may have about your case.

Contact an El Paso Personal Injury Attorney

Were you or a loved one injured in a crash caused by a drunk driver? You may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Contact experienced El Paso personal injury lawyer Cal Mundell to discuss your options. Cal advocates fiercely for car accident victims, seeking maximum compensation for the medical bills, lost wages, vehicle damage, and pain and suffering caused by the crash. Call 915-250-0700 for a free consultation.


Share this post:
badge badge badge badge


When you are hurt, we are here. Call 915-250-0700 for representation. We are always available at the other end of the line.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
I have read and understand the Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
Back to Top